Tuesday, April 29, 2008

red, itchy, and pissed off!

readers, instead of doling out advice today, i am pleading for some help from you! i am currently sitting in front of my computer desperately trying to keep my hands off of my itchy, bumpy, irritated face. i wouldn't say that i have 'sensitive skin', because most things that i use like makeup and regular skincare (not containing anti-aging ingredients) don't bother me, but lately my skin has been very out of whack. since i recently turned 25, i've been wanting to start some kind of a skincare regimen to prevent the early signs of aging and just keep my skin in generally good shape, but i've had no luck with any of the products i've tried. every time i use something with retinol or AHAs (two of the most important things for keeping your skin young and fresh looking) in it, my face breaks out in a red, itchy, bumpy rash. after i tried Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Serum, i was left with two silver dollar-sized patches of super dry, itchy skin on the left side of my face that STILL won't subside. strangely, the right side of my face seems to tolerate anti-aging products while the left side goes haywire. now, i know that a lot of products that contain AHAs and/or retinol can cause your skin to purge, but this is not purging. this is my face coming into contact with an anti-aging product and shrieking, "NO! no no no no no!!!" at the top of it's lungs.

the product i had the highest hopes for was Alpha Hydrox's 12% Glycolic Souffle, a HUGE cult hit with the members of Make Up Alley, loved unanimously for it's ability to improve all skin types no matter how sensitive. well, guess what?! i broke out in a huge red rash! as a matter of fact, the area of my face that broke out from the AH Souffle is still slightly redder than the rest of my face, and it was almost a year ago that i used it. this is a great product that comes at a fabulous price (you can find it at most drugstores) and i would definitely recommend trying it if your skin is lacking clarity and glowiness, but make sure you do a patch test to see if your skin can handle it.

the culprit of today's tomato face look is Philosophy's Hope In A Jar, another product i've been wanting to try forever. many people achieve excellent results with this cream but for me it's a no-go. i don't understand how people with skin that's generally very sensitive can use HIAJ and AH Souffle with great results when my not normally sensitive skin freaks out after two nights use?! it's very frustrating! which brings me to my questions for my readers, is there anyone else out there who's skin can't take anti-aging ingredients? and if so, what do YOU use to keep your skin young and happy looking? also, what's the best fix for soothing upset skin? any tips, suggestions, helpful hints? let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use products with niacinamide in them, the one I'm using now for my face is La Roche Posay: Rosaliac (I think thats what it's called) But you can also find niacinamide in lots of Olay products. It seems gentler than any retinol, AHA, or BHA product I've tried.

The Kitty said...

anonymous- thank you so much for your recommendation, i will definitely check out some products with niacinamide in them! hopefully my finicky skin could handle it and i could achieve some results that do not include a red, itchy, tomato face.